Wednesday 30 May 2018

Such A Production (Language Warning)

"I hate this fucking disease!"

You might think that comment is a matter of common standing, a constancy of expression, a Rock of Gibralter clearly seen and stated. Well, it is. On top of that it is exactly what I said to my HCA, Kabira, just a few minutes ago. I was angry. I lacked the strength to plug in the adapter for my laptop,.

The laptop adapter was unplugged as I had to remove it, along with all the other detritus, from my table, in order to lay out the pretty new springtime tablecloth I picked up yesterday while shopping. Plugs, another thing I lack the ability to do, another thing done for me by my HCA, Kabira.

This is not the whole of it. My first struggle was even finding one in the stack of pretty tablecloths over at HomeSense. The issue was not selection. It was the strength and reach required to sort through the massive selection to find what I wanted, the energy needed to move dozens of tablecloths to get to just that one, the right one. It wore out my arms.

Fortunately getting it to the cashier was a simple task, first with me keeping the wheelchair in the elevated position, then resting my arms by slowly browsing my way to the checkout, then dropping my purchase from an elevated position rather than trying to lift it up from a lowered position. Only after checking out and paying did I finally return my chair to its fully closed and locked position.

After getting my pretty new tablecloth home, I left it on the table for the night. Then this morning I asked Samhar, my morning HCA, to turn my kitchen table 180 degrees, so I could hide the massive gouges from my wheelchair. She did. After she left, and after a much needed nap of 3 hours, I started the slow exercise of clearing the table, including removing my laptop.

Then Kabira came. She had the new tablecloth out and on the table in a snap, however not without reminding me that this was not in the care plan. So far the only things back on the table are my water jug, my drinking mug, my laptop, and my extension keyboard. Oh, and that stupid adapter, or at least the cable from the outlet to computer.

I really do hate this fucking disease. Such a production for something so simple.

1 comment:

  1. not in the care plan? bloody hell.
    care plan. "i care" plan. or the "i dont care" plan. so mean. so crazy

    ReplyDelete