Sunday 23 November 2014

Up Too Early

I got up early this morning.  I didn't intend to get up early. I was happily snuggled in my bed, warm and sleepy, when my nether regions announced their immediate intention to awaken me, sending my scurrying, or rolling, as it were, to the toilet. This happens to all of us, our bodies demanding attention when we are warm in bed. For most of us, we simply get up, do what needs to be done, and return to bed.

For me this process is not quite that easy. When at home, I can pretty much do this. I get into my wheelchair, roll into my wheelchair accessible bathroom, do what must be done, and return to my bed. The access to the bed is the big thing. At home, it is relatively easy, and even when it is not I have the sling and lift system. Here at the cabin, the bed I sleep in is one of those needing a stepladder for access. Mike has been lifting me into bed at nights. Once I get out of bed, I am out until someone lifts me back in.

Here is where my personal modesty cuts in; I don't want to ask someone to lift me into bed while I am mostly naked, clad only in my boxer shorts. It's just a bit to much to ask. I know Mike or others would willingly help, just as I know that I am unwilling to ask.

This morning, I got up and did what my body demanded. Then I got mostly dressed in my wheelchair. Cheryl had to come and help me with my pants; try putting jeans on while sitting in a cushioned chair. Also, the cabin is not wheelchair friendly; there are no grab rails or M-rails or safety bars. I was good until the last little bit, then I called for help.

The real problem is that I am both up too early and exhausted from the efforts of going to the toilet and getting dressed. It took me almost an hour to regain my sense of strength. I was shaking through much of breakfast. Sitting here in the living room I am cold, needing to put on my sweater to warm myself. As I type, slouched over in my chair, all I really want to do is go back to sleep. I will do that, but probably on the couch. It's too much to contemplate getting back into that bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment