Sunday, 24 January 2016

I'm Late

It's 5:35 PM; I'm finally sitting down to write this post. I've had a shower, put the laundry in the washing machine, and I have a pot of water on the stove near boiling so I can make Kraft Dinner. This was not my plan for the day. This is just how it worked out. I had planned on being home at about 2:30 PM. We didn't make it.

When we woke up this morning in Edmonton, we did not have a workable shower in the hotel room. There was a plumbing problem the night before, so much so that we were considering changing rooms. However the hotel had no other handicapped rooms available, so we stayed, our plan being to shower when we got back to Calgary. As a compensation for our inconvenience, the Radisson Hotel gave us 50% off the room rate, plus coupons for Sunday Brunch in their restaurant.

We didn't plan on using the brunch coupons; we wanted to get home to our showers. After getting up, we simply got dressed, ready to hit the road. Then Katherine, at my urging, checked out the brunch before we left. As it turned out, we did stay for brunch after all; it was a terrific brunch buffet with all the stuff we love. So our 11:30 AM departure became a 12:45 PM departure, with an ETA for Calgary of 3:45 PM; it's a three hour drive.

There was a major accident in our pathway as we left Edmonton. ETA was now 4:00 PM. We headed out of town. By the time we got to Red Deer, Katherine needed a bathroom and I desperately needed to close my eyes for a few minutes. She went into Tim Horton's, all the better to provide me with coffee. I rested. Suddenly our 4:00 PM ETA became a 4:30 PM ETA. Still not bad, but getting later in the day.

The drive itself was lovely; beautiful clear blue skies, sun shining of the snow, glistening with a trillion sparkles against the brilliant white of the covered fields. That is, until we started talking about our plan when we got home. My plan was not Katherine's plan. I had planned on getting home and writing immediately. She had planned on getting me home and into the shower immediately.

Her reasoning was that she wanted to get to her place as soon as possible so that she could have her own shower, pack and prepare for Cuba. Then, when she had everything ready, she would come back here and we would leave together in the morning. I wanted my plan; she wanted hers. There was discussion, followed by a period of non-discussion. We decided that her plan was best.

So, I got home at 4:30 PM. I had a shower. She put on my various creams and powders. I decided to get the laundry started right away, and start on dinner too. I could have started writing immediately, but there you go. I didn't. So that leaves me finishing this post at 5:50 PM. I have a bunch of reasons why, but none of them seems really good. But there you go, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment