Wednesday 13 January 2016

Vulcan!

I'm going for a drive today, an attempt by Katherine to get me out of my apartment, out of the depressive funk I've been in for the last few days. We are headed to a small town southeast of Calgary called Vulcan. It wasn't named for Star Trek, but it certainly enjoys its notoriety. They have a model of the USS Enterprise at the Tourist Centre, and a couple of small Star Trek museums around town.

Along the way, we plan on grabbing a burger and milkshake at Peter's, a famous Calgary drive-in, one to which I have not yet favoured myself. It's about time. Then, a wonderful drive through the wintry Alberta countryside, a stop at the Vulcan museum, and a drive home by a different route. It's the perfect afternoon adventure.

I need to get out. I need to escape, if only for the afternoon. While not technically housebound, I am feeling increasingly trapped these days, caged by ALS. This is a breakout, a prison break of sorts, where I leave the four walls of my apartment behind me, and, for a few hours at least, I forget about ALS.

It's the kind of day I need now and again.

1 comment:

  1. Man I miss Peter's. J and I used to go there on dates. We'd grab onion rings and milkshakes (lime for me!) and then head over to the escarpment above the river and watch the city lights.

    ReplyDelete