Friday 1 November 2013

Why?

It has been suggested to me, once again, that perhaps I put too much personal stuff into my blog, that perhaps I reveal things not just about myself but about other people, people whose privacy I should respect more. I understand this point of view, but I don't agree with it. When I started this blog I made a commitment to myself, that I would talk, or rather write, about whatever is on my mind.

The rather interesting counterpart to this whole position is what happened several months ago. You may recall that some time back I had an issue where someone was using the "Anonymous" comments to take some shots are me. While I am certainly open to commentary, this blog is not intended to be a place of judgement yet in one particular comment, "Anonymous" accused me of being a supreme egotist, since in that particular entry I used the pronoun "I" repeatedly.

So it would appear that some people are unhappy about me talking about myself while others are unhappy about me talking about others. What this says to me is that no matter how I approach it, there will always be someone whom I make unhappy every now and again. In some cases people may see me as targeting, in others they may see me as saying things that should not be said.

The reality is that, while I care about my friends and family, I write this blog as a way of telling my story, as a way of sharing my journey. Sometimes this journey will be intensely personal, other times it will reflect the lives and actions of those with whom I interact, and still other times it will simply be a medical journal. It will always, however, be from my point of view, sharing the scene from my window on life, looking at the skyline of my daily existence.

This is my story and I will tell it any way I damned well please. After I am dead, I will be gone and my story will end. My story may help others. Some may take up this story, or lessons from it. Some may find direction and healing in seeing how my life has been affected, both my my disease and by my actions. Some may just read for pure prurient interest, for the vicarious thrill of my adventure unto death, like a voyeur looking into a window on my life.

I don't know why you read it; I certainly know why I write it. So let me ask you to do something for me. Make a comment and tell me why you read and from where. I would like to know. And if I offend you with anything, I do not apologize; I just understand.

8 comments:

  1. I read it to see how you are doing - physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog has helped put some things in my life into perspective.Its your blog, write it as you need to.Itsnot like a facebook page where everybody sees.My daughterShannon and I had a big issue with that and facebook privacy settings. I feel I have gained a new friend and I am excited to meet you next week. My special needs woman is in respite until Wed. so make your plans, and we will work in a visit. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do what makes you happy. No one is being forced to read your blog. Life is too short for people to get their panties in a twist over someone's blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, Freida, I make the odd Facebook mistake too. I forget sometimes that others can be sensitive where I simply don't see the need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog to see whether you need an extra hug or word of support from an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. : Richard, your blog is your blog. Yes you write a lot about ALS (Amyotrophic lateral Sclerosis ) , the changes you are making to deal with ALS and how you are coping with this horrible disease. Your blog is about being honest why shouldn't you include the people in your life, whether It's negative or positive especially since ALS may affect their lives also? Your blog is raising awareness and will continue to raise awareness of the human impact of the disease. Even though you were given the worst diagnosis ever you have continued to live. By doing so you may give someone who just received their diagnosis or family members hope instead of relying on the medical information available. The medical information available is horrendous to read and I'm sure quite frightening for someone newly diagnosed.

    We can read information on web md or other sites but it just talks about statistics. It doesn't go into human relations or how a terminal illness can affect relationships. Without blogs to document the journey I think most might just give up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Richard, I hope you see this comment. My sister died from ms & als. It is very cruel. The worst part is she was in denial-until the bitter end. She suffered so. She could have not suffered so much had she taken steps to help herself-like actually hire help. Not only was she afflicted with als but she was mentally warped too. All we could do was react. No time to plan. She was not full of life like you are. I marvel at how different you and she are! I am catching up on your blog when I can as I am consumed by this for the time being. My sister died on my birthday this year. I am honored that she chose to do that. I am located in the United States. For whatever it worth, I am glad Canada seems to attempt to do more for als patients. You have a manual! I am reading that too. Of course, I found this out too late for my sister, but I intend to help others as that is my nature. Please write how you see fit. As you stated- its your blog from your point of view. Why do others always have to believe one should do what is proper? If people are offended, then it seems that they haven't been truly good people and are seeing their true colors in print. They can change if they choose. I do not regret anything I have said or done during the time I was dealing with my sister. Others do though. You keep it up for as long as you can. I think about you often. You are very kind to write every day. I appreciate it more than you can realize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard, I think of you daily, and I love you and your blog! Reading in Oregon, grateful for your daily observations of life. Take care... gg

    ReplyDelete