Thursday 5 March 2015

It Has Begun

The elevator work has finally begun; I am relieved. The inevitable has happened and I am rolling along just fine, only within the confines of my apartment. I don't mind it at all, now that it has come about. I want it to happen. I want the work to get done quickly. I want the refurbished elevator working when I get home.

There is a certain amount of freedom in being trapped at home. For instance, there is no reason whatsoever for me to put on pants, unless, perchance, someone comes by to visit. In that case, their might be a reason, depending on the visitor. There are folks who just feel better when I have pants on. Care workers, on the other hand, don't care what stage of dress I am in when they arrive.

Now that the elevator is out, the Home Care Aides who come tomorrow to do my exercises and to provide home making services will have to walk up the stairs. For some of them, this detour may be sufficiently distracting to cause them to be even later than normal. Fortunately there is only one more home care day until we hit the road.

Today is dedicated to paperwork, with the immense assistance of Katherine. I hate doing my tax paperwork. It has always been a chore for me, Over the years the task has become sufficiently emotional to bring me near to tears. There are probably a lot of reasons for this; in the end it doesn't matter. What matters is that, this time, Katherine is taking a great deal of this load off of me. I am grateful and relieved.

Tomorrow will be a cleaning day, preparing the apartment for a 6 week absence. Even while I am gone, Katie and Brad are going to come here, check on things, hang out. The place won't be completely empty, nor completely neglected.

Saturday is packing day. Sunday is when we head out. The next few days will pass quickly, hopefully without incident. Then the fun begins.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good man . The way you handle your life is amazing. Tell me what do you do now that you cannot get yourself out of your wheelchair? Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete