Sunday 28 January 2018

Good Things In Every Day

It's been a busy day or two, which for me can be both a good thing, and a bad thing. I prefer to look at the good, especially when there is lots to be had in it. I think that's one of the secrets, or not so secrets, about dealing with ALS, or for that matter any serious medical condition. Finding the light, hidden in the darkness; that's the best way to approach all of this.

I've been dealing with a new HCA, both yesterday morning and this morning. Yesterday, for her first visit, she came with an LPN. In light of the challenges of my care, I have told the agency that no untrained person will be permitted into my home without either an LPN or an RN Supervisor. It's simply safer for me, both physically and emotionally. On the other hand the LPN yesterday knew very little about attaching a condom catheter, so I did most of the instructing, actually attaching the catheter myself, a real exercise when you can't see down there.

On the other hand the new HCA seems to be pretty good. She seems unfazed by the intimacy of my care, unworried about handling my penis properly, and confident in everything else that's required to get me going in the mornings. She's 28, so not so young as to be inexperienced. She's done the HCA role for a while, and is working towards her LPN, graduating in a year, so she could be a part of the care team for a while yet.

Last night was good too; David took me out to a place here in Calgary called "The Rec Room". It's a gigantic arcade parlour for all ages, with a bar and restaurant. The food was reasonably priced, as was the beer. We hung out there for a couple of hours, checking the place out for future MeetUp events. It was great for me to get out.

Today has been a bit quieter; nothing bad about that. I've had a visitor. I'm making spaghetti sauce for Tortellini; I feel up to cooking and that's always a good thing. Then I have two wine kits to get started. The gear is all set up, thanks to my guest. There will be nothing too heavy for me to do, so I can start these kits on my own, once again making me feel like I am still at least somewhat capable of caring for myself.

It's important for me to find success where I can. My life is becoming more limited, day after day. Taking a lesson from something my brother Adam said to me when all this started, I try to find the good thing in each day. It keeps me going. Then again there are days like today, with lots of good things going on. I'll be tired, and even that is a good thing. I'll sleep well tonight.

1 comment:

  1. There's sometimes a diamond wrapped up in even the darkest chunk of coal. Hang in there Buddy. We got your back.

    ReplyDelete