Wednesday 21 February 2018

Butter, And Getting Old

I'm out of butter. The reason I am out of butter is simple; I didn't buy any. The reason I didn't buy any is a bit more complex. When I see butter go on sale, I buy several pounds of it then freeze it. Butter keeps really well in the freezer, sometimes for months on end. The problem is I don't check to see how much butter I have until I need a pound of butter. Then I forget about it, until I look for butter and I have none. Like yesterday.

No worries, I said to myself. Co-op has butter on sale this week for $2.99 pound. That's a full dollar off. Time for me to stock up again. So I hopped on the bus over to Brentwood, were my doctot's office happens to be. Hmmm. I haven't been feeling great for a few days now. I should get a urine test to see if if I have another bladder infection. I do. We talked about various solutions, including perhaps going on a low dose antibiotic as a preventive measure, a prophylaxis as it it called. He is going to call me tomorrow with the culture result to see what antibiotics I should use, at which point we will decide about the prophylactic solution.

So, out of the doctor's office and across the parking lot to Co-op I go. They have lots of stuff I like on sale this week; next week too, but I was there today. For butter. I shopped for about an hour and came away with some chicken, some steaks, from fresh vegetables; lots of good stuff. I paid the $75 for groceries, grateful as this is the last of my money for this month. We packed all my purchased treaasures into my cloth shopping bags. I headed out across to the bus stop and caught my bus home.

Once at home I unpacked the groceries and realized I had forgotten to buy butter. I am truly getting old.

Today my friend Bobbi stopped by. I told her this story. We laughed. Then, on her way home, she stopped at a Co-op to buy some butter for me, a surprise. She called me, telling me that no butter was on sale at Co-op anywhere. I was confused, so I looked at the weekly flyer again. It was not butter on sale, but margarine. I never purchase or use margarine.

I called Bobbi and told her about my mistake. We laughed. Once again, I am truly getting old.

1 comment:

  1. Getting old? Today happens to be my birthday .. been told several times today, damn you're getting old .. welcome to the club .

    ReplyDelete