Sunday 30 June 2013

Just For Today

Just for today I am going to live, just for today. I know, redundant. Repetition isn't a bad thing unless it’s repetitive. I need to remind myself on a daily basis, sometimes on an hourly basis, sometimes moment to moment that all I need to think about is what is happening in this moment. Tomorrow will take care of tomorrow; yesterday is gone.

Life here on the ocean can help with that a lot. It’s rhythm is different that life on land. Getting up and getting dressed is just as difficult, perhaps even more difficult, than it is on land, in my apartment. I am just as tired after getting dressed here as I am any where else. The physical limitations don’t change. Yet the view is different, the urgency is lost, the need to rest is more easily rewarded. There is no hurry here.

It’s sunny today and it is going to be a hot one. It demands sunscreen, protection of the ferocity of the burn and the bounce of the sun off the water. We are inside the Southern Gulf Islands today, starting from a place called Montague Harbour and headed for Genoa Bay, rounding the southern end of Saltspring Island along the way. Montague Harbour has all the rustic you could possibly want, from a cafe owner who keeps hours to suit herself to the requisite funky dream-catcher hanging in the window of the kayak excursion and rental shop. Things here get off to an easy start; it’s catching.

The boat cabin is a mess. Ricky is not much for tidy and I simply don’t have the energy or strength to quibble over it. My bed is clear and I can sleep. Mostly I can get to the head. We've taken to leaving my wheelchair in the cockpit at nights; I am not concerned about theft, not out here. As to the mess, we can take a look at it later today. Sooner or later it will have to get tidied up, but not right now.


I did something unique today, something I have never done in all my boating life. I let someone else, Ricky in this case, start the boat, slip from the dock, refuel and take us out. Ricky skippered about half way to Genoa Bay, then I took over for the rest of the run. Here in Genoa Bay we are meeting up with my friend Chris and a whole bunch of his friends from the Port Moody Power and Sail Squadron. It will likely prove to be a late night, but then again I can sleep in tomorrow if I want.

I think I am going to take it easy, just for today. I am going to relax and let things take their own course. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

1 comment: