Friday 10 April 2015

For Good To Flourish

Yesterday we went to the World Trade Center Memorial. It was difficult for me, having worked in the Twin Towers with clients who were still there when the buildings came down. I remember walking out of the Fulton Street subway station, past the church and onto the WTC Plaza for the first time. I remember having dinner atop Tower 1 with my wife, a business associate, and his wife. I remember my Mother calling me on that fateful morning, telling me to turn on the TV. I had worked late the night before so I was sleeping in.

We took the subway to the WTC, taking the time to ask the fellow in the Information booth what might be the best station to disembark the subway train. He said "Chambers Street". We dutifully got off the train at the Chambers Street station, only to discover that there was no elevator. So we got on the train and went one more stop to the new Fulton Street station.

So much has changed down here, with the loss of the towers and other buildings from the attacks of 9/11. New buildings have gone up. Existing buildings have been renovated and updated. The Fulton Station is no exception, now reminding me more of the London Tube Station at Westminster than the New York subway of old. It took quite a bit of searching before we finally figured out the convoluted route to the surface. Nonetheless, we made it.

After visiting the memorial, we got back onto the train, this time for Grand Central Station. The ride was uneventful, the train crowded with oddly polite New Yorkers. However we arrived at the Grand Central platform just as the Out Of Service sign went on the elevator. We were two for two. I sat there for few minutes when a nice young man offered to help haul me up the stairs. It was no small task; he started well however my weight showed up quickly. Then, without a word, a couple of women jumped in to help, all the them, along with Katherine, carrying me and my wheelchair up the stairs to the exit platform.

I've experienced this kindness all over the place. New York is no exception; there are good people everywhere. They just need a chance to show it. This is also, perhaps, the lesson of the Twin Towers. There are evil people out there. All that is needed for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing. There are so many who will do something; just give them a chance. I am a fortunate man.

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing man Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Richard, well said! This post is a great observation on human nature. Love your comment, "they just need a chance to show it." Stay strong and safe travels to you and Katherine.

    ReplyDelete