Sunday 21 June 2015

Up Late At Night

I had an exhaustion day yesterday. They happen. These are the days when it is almost impossible for me to get up, to get out of bed. These are the days when I would normally just sleep, for as long as I could. These are the days when my up time rarely exceeds a few hours.

Yesterday was a bit of a tough one for resting. I had to get ready for our road trip. We are heading out today, seeking another opportunity for me to escape the capture of my damnable broken elevator. The company doing the work tells me it should be ready to go sometime within the next couple of weeks. Apparently all that remains is some minor work and then the city inspection. It's the inspection which might be the hold-up. It takes time to arrange.

It was near noon when I got up yesterday. By 5:00 PM I was ready to go back to bed, so I did. I awoke at 9:30 in the evening and began to pack. By 11:00 PM I was once again ready for bed. The downside of days like this is that it makes it hard to get to sleep at night. Fortunately there was a plus side to this. I was still awake at 2:30 AM when my daughter texted me with the news of the arrival of her newest child, my grandson.

My anthropological task is complete, although my patrilineal one remains. I am not a fan of primogeniture, but I must admit to wanting a grandson who will bear my name. Nonetheless, I have progeny. They have progeny. The species, or at least my genetic component of the species, will continue. That makes it easier for me to deal with leaving my life early. I will continue on in my children, and in their children.

I won't see this new grandchild for about a month. When I go to Vancouver, Meaghan must come to visit me at my Mom's, as she lives in her mother's house, a place where I can not go thanks to the combination of divorce and stairs. That's okay; after a month things will have settled down a bit. There may be a routine. My daughter's family will have patterns by then. That's a good thing, and I can wait just a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment