Thursday 1 October 2015

A Long Day

An evening blog for a long day; it has been a very long day. It started at 7:30 this morning when I awoke to get ready to take Katherine to the airport. I did the same thing yesterday, only then it was Katherine's sister and brother-in-law. The whole Tsui family is headed to Toronto for a wedding, and general family get-together. I volunteered for airport taxi duty.

After I dropped Katherine off at 9:00 AM, I headed straight out for Vancouver. This trip is mostly a gift from Katherine. I want to go fishing for a few days in the Vedder and Chilliwack Rivers, perhaps the Fraser River too, and maybe even the Stave or Harrison River. So off I went, headed west into the amazing show of colour amongst the trees on the hillsides of Calgary, a palette of yellow, gold, buff and even a bit of fading green.

What I have not mentioned so far is that I had only about 3 hours of sleep last night. So this morning was exhaustion waiting to happen. The first bout hit after about 30 minutes. I didn't even make it to Canmore. I pulled over in a rest area and rested, taking about a 1 hour nap.

The second stop was at the Spiral Tunnels pullout near Field, BC. Exhaustion hit once again, so I pulled out and once again slept for about an hour. When I awoke, I had this dreadful feeling, a rumbling in my lower bowel. I tried to contain it. I put all my efforts into keeping the dragon contained. Alas, I failed. Now I was not only exhausted, but a mess with no place to change. Getting cleaned up would have to wait until I got to my hotel.

I managed to make it to Revelstoke before the third exhaustion hit. This time I slept for about 90 minutes, still uncomfortable, still a mess, still needing to get to a hotel to clean up. After waking up, I headed out once again, this time with a target of Kamloops. I managed to survive. In fact my energy level seemed to rise in the late afternoon. By the time I got here, I was more than ready to clean myself, and my clothing, and head out to dinner with Mike.

So now it is 11:15 PM Calgary time, 10:15 PM BC time. My day is almost done. All I need do now is get into a bed which is about a foot too high. I'll do it. After all, I've only been up about 16 hours. It's a piece of cake, right? Tonight I suspect I will sleep well. Tomorrow will be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment