Sunday 31 July 2016

Weekend Over

Home, a couple of hours late but no worse for the wear. The original plan was for us to leave Jim's place, about a 4 1/2 hour drive, putting us home at 5:20 PM. Then I would write. As it happened, we had a small issue with my truck, a dead battery, which delayed us for a couple of hours. It seems my lift seat, when in the mid-way up position, pushes on the seat adjustment button once the door is closed. This meant my truck seat, while in the fully down position, kept working away at getting lower. The electric motor used to make this adjustment simply consumed all the battery power over night.

You might well wonder how the seat got in the halfway up position. Simple, I put it there to get from the front seat into my power chair. I had no idea this would trigger the constant running of the adjustment motor. Nor could I, or anyone else, hear that motor. It is very quiet, even quieter after the battery is dead.

You might also wonder why I didn't write my blog while waiting for the battery charger to resolve this issue. That too is a fairly simple thing. Katherine said "I packed everything, including your computer, and I am not going to unpack it again." I have come to learn that a statement like this from Katherine is non-negotiable. So I sat, enjoyed the sun, rested, and waited.

At about 2:30 PM we got under way. The drive home was uneventful except for the storm lingering still over Calgary. We stopped for coffee a couple of times, taking about a half hour longer than the base drive time. Adam drove. I rested. Katherine rested too. I was an easy day, once the truck got going. Just the kind of way you want to end a weekend of camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment