Wednesday 19 March 2014

Plumbing Explosion

The process of renovations is fraught with risk. Today we realized one of those risks. I am now soaking wet, the water is shut off in my bathroom and all work has come to a halt. The solder in one of the joints on the cold water line that serves the sink let go, spraying cold water all over the bathroom, me, Mike and pretty much everything else.

Needless to say I am very upset. This is the kind of thing which simply should not happen. It is a reflection of poor quality workmanship. Of course I called the plumber immediately and he is on his way over. I suspect he will not be happy either; the actual work was done by his apprentice but he is nonetheless responsible for this little crisis.

What bugs me even more is that Mike and I were just beginning to box in that exposed plumbing. We had just started work on the box and frame. We were measuring, just measuring, when we touched the pipe and it let go. This, once again, should not happen. It means, however, that the wood Mike and I were working with is now all soaked. Some of it, the MDF board, is wet enough that we may not be able to use it at all. The other wood will dry out, but that takes time and time is something I am running out of.

We will move past this. We will get the pipe fixed and get the lines re-checked. This time the plumber will do the work, not the apprentice. We will box it in and make sure that the lines are protected. This is one of the finishing parts that must be done. It's just a bit of a delay, perhaps a day or so.


1 comment:

  1. This is the kind of event no one is ever prepared of. It’s frustrating that it had to happen in your house. It’s a good thing that you two were present when it happened. At least you were able to call the plumber immediately. How is it, btw? I hope the plumber managed to fix it completely, and that this time, it was done properly.

    Chris Meier @ Williams Mechanical

    ReplyDelete