Tuesday 10 October 2017

Winter Boots

I've written before about the extra, added costs which come along with having a substantial illness like ALS. There are all kinds of things you don't think about until you get there. Then you get upset, mad, angry, pissed, whatever. Why do I have to spend money on things I will need for such a short time?

It's winter boots this time. I used to have a full collection of footwear; sports shoes, hiking boots, winter boots, motorcycle boots, dress shoes, casual shoes, even slippers! Now not a one of those pieces of footwear fit me, thanks to the swelling from edema. Even if they did fit, I would not be able to put most of them on; my toes curl under as I slide any shoe on my foot. So, for what will likely be the last winter of my life, I am looking for new winter boots.

I have running shoes I can wear, but they aren't all that warm. I could put on heavy wollen socks, but then I can't put on shoes overtop. It bothers me even more that I can't just buy any old boot or shoe. I've never been that fussy about footwear. If it worked, I would wear it. Now, with paralyzed toes and swollen feet, I need to get winter boots that zip up the side and have a larger shoe size than I typically wear. Once again, clown shoes.

I've already done some online shopping but I won't purchase online. I need to try to see if what looks like it might work really does work. The boots I have been looking at range between $100 and $200. I'll probably only wear them a dozen times. I could go to the thrift store and see what they have; I might get lucky. In the end, however, it just bugs me that I need new winter boots.

Never mind boots. None of my winter shirts, the pullover knitted long sleeve underwear style shirts that I find so comfortable, fits me any more. My waistline is just too much for them. So now I have to look at shirts too. Even if I get cheap ones, they will cost about $20 each. So now it's boots and shirts. Last month it was pants of all kinds. Some would think it paradise, to have to shop so much. Me? I wish I didn't have ALS. None of this would be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment