Tuesday 27 March 2018

A Planned Departure

It will come as no surprise to some of you, and a disappointment to others, that I had planned a MAID exit for March 15th of this year. That's why I was getting all the MAID stuff together last December. That's why I got a Family Doctor to work with me. That's why I made sure I had enough wine and food in my apartment for a decent wake. So why am I still here?

Well, I guess the truth is that I am still more afraid of dying than I am of living. I knew things were going to get bad, and then worse. I knew I was going to become a captive in my own home. I knew I would have little to no contact, real physical contact, from my family, given their distance and issues. I knew my finances were going to get tougher than they already are. I knew I would lose my ability to lift my arms, let alone anything else. I knew I would pretty much lose all my ability to cook, the effort of it far surpassing any joy I get from it.

Yet I enjoy being here. David made the decision to leave all the more difficult with his decision to support my sale of the truck and purchase of the van. Without his financial assistance, that would never have happened. That, plus his promise of at least a couple of road trips, is enough to keep me wanting to be around until at least the summer. My daughter asked me to stick around until she has her wedding celebration this summer, although I suspect I will be in pretty bad shape by then. After all, I could not raise my left arm today.

Then the idea of live-in care made even more things seem possible. I can cook if I have a sous-chef. I can still go shopping, as long as someone helps with the stuff on the high shelves and carrying the bags. I will have company, companionship, even if it is paid help. The only hurdle I have this the shortfall in budget from AHS, about $500 a month. When I sell the truck, David has offered to make some of that available to me; I feel it might be a bridge too far. David has already invested a lot of his time and life in making mine better. Still, there is hope. It can happen.

I think the thing that worries me the most, the thing that will impact me the most, is the responsibility of having to pay someone that money every month, knowing that if I don't have it, I would be in serious trouble. A commitment to payroll is a big deal. Thanks to the GoFundMe, I have a couple of months in the bank. If I cut down on my food and liquor expenses, I can reduce that deficit, perhaps. Those are the only adjustment I can make. I've already almost completely eliminated dining out, going to movies, going to trivia nights. I don't have much room left. I guess that is what scares me the most. Asking for help for me is one thing. Asking for help so I can pay a live-in caregiver is something completely different.

And just so you know, the whole MAID thing is off the table for now. I have made no future appointments.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear MAID is off the table.. for now. Make the most of spring and summer and hit the road with David when you can. Look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Richard, life and its corollary : 'being there instead of not being at all", is an unique experience. We are mere stardust agregates that agregated in such a witty way that they became able to feel, to see, to experience what it is to be conscious. This f... ALS can't take that away from you unless you decide to call it a day yourself. I know of totally impaired PALS who live on ventilators and say they're still able to enjoy life to the fullest. It all dépends on how far one is ready to venture. With ALS, unlike with cancer, there's a sort of choice one is entitled to make if he/she wants to keep going or not. I already quoted the motto of one french famous ALS patient "that last switch linking your heart to your brain is yours to turn off or keep going. ALS can't reach that switch, doesn't have the power to turn it off if you don't want it to".
    Hang in there brother, we readers got your back, and if money is needed, ask and we'll join forces and try to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss March 15 ? I make a habit of checking in reading your blog every day ... anyway. I'm so so glad you're still around. Life is precious, But definitely debatable given one's personal health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad you are still here. 😀

    ReplyDelete