Friday 16 March 2018

More HCA Training

I just got a call from the nurse supervisor for my HCA. She advised me that she would be coming at 5:00 PM to supervise the in/out catheter process. This is happening because I complained that the routine the HCA's use is not sterile, nor does it follow what is called the "no touch method" during the process.

The "no touch" method is very specific about what steps must be taken to ensure that a sterile field is maintained around the head of my penis. It safeguards against any contamination after I have been cleaned and that particular area of my body is sterile. The basic rule is that when the HCA starts this process, at not time must my penis be placed in a position of re-contamination, nor should any of the apparatus be handled in a way to cause contamination.

All this concern around contamination comes from my continuing stream of bladder infections. My doctor is certain the re-infection after we clear up a previous infection comes from lack of sterile conditions for my in/out catheter. There are similar problems with my condom catheters however they are not inserted into my body in any way, so it's not as big a deal.

So my complaint has generated a response. The nurse called about my 5:00 PM HCA visit, advising me she would be here to do range of motion training. I corrected her and said "catheter training".  Unfortunately for her, my 5:00 PM visit involves no catheter changes whatsoever. Those happen first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening; when I get up, and when I go to bed. She didn't seem to be aware of this pattern. The coordinators had not told her what the 5:00 PM visit was about, so she assumed it would be that visit.

Now I am worried about the nurse knowing what she is doing. I am concerned.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm you would think the supervisor would know what is going on and when, anxious to hear if they use you as a teaching tool and replace your catherler several times at 500. Let us know. I imagine your penis wont like this

    ReplyDelete