Saturday 20 December 2014

Curves

Life throws curves at you; some of them are minor, some are major. ALS was a major curve in my life. It still is. On the other hand the minor curves can be just as challenging at times. Tomorrow my son, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are supposed to drive from Abbotsford to Calgary. Their plan was to drive to Revelstoke on Sunday and then through to Calgary on Monday. That was the plan.

Today a major weather front has moved in from the Pacific, bringing snow and ice to the mountain roads, causing the highways folks to issue a safety warning. The high mountain passes are likely to be the worst affected, especially Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass. These roads are treacherous at the best of times, and down right frightening in bad weather. Add some snow and ice, and you have a life-threatening skating rink.

I talked to my daughter this morning and the general consensus is that flying here will be a lot safer than driving. Even without weather, flying is safer than driving. Faster too. It has some limitations, though; less luggage room, which means less room for Christmas presents on the way here, and especially on the way back. You might think the cost is higher, but all things considered, I would rather pay for four plane tickets than four funerals. I want my children to arrive here safely and in one piece.

These are the considerations when you live far from your children. I am fortunate, and grateful, that Kate lives here in Calgary. It means a great deal to me. I am reminded often that I am the one who moved to Calgary while they stayed in BC. Meaghan and Rick still live with their mother, which makes visiting a challenge when I go to the coast. It also means I don't see my grandchildren unless I drive down to the coast.

I chose Calgary. I chose it because of the tremendous support I get here, from Kate, from friends, from the health care system. There is not a day goes by when someone is not checking in on me, visiting me, helping me in my home. I just felt like Calgary was a good choice. I still think it is a good choice although I debate myself on it regularly. Days like today are a good example. The weather threw us a bit of a curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment