Tuesday 17 January 2017

Blasted Bladder Bacteria

It's been another day, albeit a short one, of battling the forces which would bring me to a complete halt. This time's it's that blasted bladder bacteria infecting my innards. At least today I made some headway in this battle of the bladder. I drank about 4 litres of water last night, spending much of my night peeing. This seemed to clear up the cloudiness in my urine, at least initially. Then I woke up today and the cloud was back.

Fortunately my work yesterday paid off today. The doctor at the ALS Clinic ordered a urinalysis from the lab across the street. He also faxed in a prescription for Ciprofloxacin, short name Cipro. This is a broad based antibiotic intended to clear away any internal bacterial infection. It's pretty powerful stuff, with some pretty powerful side effects. Let's hope none of those hit me. What struck me about this antibiotic is that it is used against anthrax, and even the plague!

There is one positive side effect of this infection. It has driven me to locate a Family Doctor right across the street in the Market Mall Professional Building. This is a regular doctor I can go and see for regular stuff, like bladder infections, and also for regular prescription renewals, something the ALS clinic doctors are not real good at doing.

The advantage of having a Family Doctor across the street is simple ease of access. Today, for example, I had to go to the same building to deposit my urine sample. It was easy for me to get there by simply getting in my power chair. At the same time I was able to go to Safeway and pick up my prescriptions. This works well for me.

My only real concern is adding a new physician to the list that seems to grow as my illness lengthens. His role will be the general stuff, but he may see himself as the stickhandler for all my medical care. This might not be a bad thing, but I have done well with the doctors in the ALS Clinic when it comes to care. I am sure it will work out well; these people are professionals. I get to find out on January 31st, when I go for my first appointment, a "meet and greet". I'll let you know what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Warning! Strong antibiotics can mess with your healthy body flora and cause some serious diarrhea. I highly recommend you eat lots of yoghurt or purchase some industrial strength acidophilus to make sure your innards remain healthy and not explosive.

    Glad you're getting your persistent bladder infection seen to. I hope you regain some of your energy after you beat that bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I could use a bit of diarrhea. I'm plugged up bad.

    ReplyDelete