Saturday 18 February 2017

In Nashville

We remain in our wander through the south, debating the straight run to St. Louis against a side trip to Bowling Green and maybe to Fort Knox, just outside of Louisville. As is our routine, David is in charge of trip planning. I remain in charge of annoying ideas for side trips and late in the day hotel finding. It works.

The south has turned on us, stealing away the warm sun, replacing it with grey overcast, rain, and cool temperatures. We are back to long sleeve shirts. This will be the first cool, if not cold, day since we left the cold, cold north behind us somewhere in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. It's the kind of day where driving will be more challenging, where short stops to see roadside attractions will be even shorter. Once again, David is working on that.

I'm not in any hurry to go home, yet I miss home constantly. Of course I miss home, my own bed, my well setup washroom, food when I want it from my own kitchen, sleep as it calls me. Yet the road has its own call, a silent siren of places unseen, of adventures unlived. To roam without responsibility, this is a kind of freedom you don't get at home, surrounded by four walls and routine. Of course it has to end, doesn't it? I wonder some days how long I could go if I stayed at low cost motels and ate at inexpensive restaurants. I suspect my biggest cost would be gas for the truck. I do love to wander.

So today we will go to St. Louis, likely to take Sunday there as a day of rest. Then it will be north and westerly again. Where? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that David will find something interesting along the way. That's all I really need.

1 comment: