Friday 29 April 2016

Some Mornings Are Warnings

Some days I know it's going to be a rough one. Some days advertise in advance, "Hey you! Get ready! Here I come!" Well it looks like today has all the possibilities of being a real bugger, the kind of day where you are simply unable to deal with it all.

For starters, my Home Care Aide arrived early, of all things; a full half hour early. The phone ringing to let him in the front door work me from a deep and sound sleep. I had been, as is often the case, awake earlier, at about 8:30, but I managed to get back to sleep. That's the one advantage of my constant fatigue. I can go to sleep pretty much on a moment's notice, anytime, anywhere.

The result of his early arrival is that I want to go back to bed now. Even during my exercises there was a point, while the HCA was manipulating my legs, where I almost fell asleep. It's been hard for me to get fully awake since then. Now that I am up, I am not sure how far I can go.

On top the the sleepiness, I'm having a lot of pain in my left hand, particularly around the base of my thumb. I'm not sure is this is ALS related, or the result of one of the many instances where I bang my hand about on something or other. My left deltoid still hurts, as does my left bicep. My right hand is sore but I am pretty sure this is just arthritic pain. It will go away as the day wears on, I hope.

Then there's the blood. I was having my shower and all seemed well. I had turned off the water and transferred to my wheelchair when I noticed a big splotch of blood on the floor beneath me. I could find no holes on my body, not obvious point of leakage. All I can assume is that it was from a hemorrhoid. It happens.

So... aches, pains, exhaustion, tiredness, bleeding. It sounds like a normal start to a day. My best hope is that it doesn't get worse. My first response will be to go back to sleep for a while, then start over. Maybe it will be better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment