Wednesday 10 August 2016

I Don't Wanna Write

Maybe later.

It's later. I am a bit more functional. The sleeping pill I took last night has finally left me. Some days those Zopliclone seem to do nothing, other days I wake up almost unable to function. It's just the way they work. It's not the pills that are random, it's my body.

Somedays I think that if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. A few months after my diagnosis, my son was with me and he said "You should have bought a lottery ticket that day." He was thinking about the odds of getting ALS. What he didn't know that the odds of getting ALS are far higher than the odds of winning the lotterly. The odds of a single ticket winning the Lotto 6/49 here in Canada are about 1:14,000,000. Odds of getting ALS vary, but the run between 2 and 5 out of every 100,000 people depending on which study you look at and where the study was completed.

Nonetheless, I took his advice the next time I went to the ALS Clinic. It was "Hospital Lottery" time, and given my situation I thought this might be a good omen. So I bought the full battery of tickets, $300 worth. I won nothing, nothing at all, not even a miniscule consolation prize. No luck at all.

That was a few years ago. The other day, feeling foolish and willing to prove once again that lotteries are just a tax on people who can't do math, I did the whole lottery thing again. Only this time my finances are significantly more constrained, so I spent the vast sum of $10 on two tickets, one for Lotto Max and one for 6/49. The 6/49 was drawn that night. I didn't get a single number, not one.

The Lotto Max is on Friday, I have that ticket. The odds of winning are around 1:28.000.000; that's twice as worse as the 6/49. I can't even imagine myself winning, not like my Dad could. He used to say that he bought his tickets on Monday so he could spend the week dreaming about what he would do if he won. He saw it as entertainment. I'm not built that way. I think I could probably have had more fun spending the $5 on beer. But then again, with my luck, I'd be arrested for DUI on the way home from the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment