Wednesday 21 September 2016

Sore And Tired

Last night I went to bed at about 9:30 PM. I took a Zopiclone, which acted so fast that I couldn't remember taking my glasses off. When I looked for them this morning, they were not on the dresser where I usually put them My HCA found them in the blankets on my bed. I'm guessing I took them off and put them beside me so I could check something on my phone, then fell asleep so fast I forgot about them.

I woke up this morning at 8:30 AM, then dozed until my HCA got here at 10:15 AM. We went through my morning routine, something that feels good to me now, then did exercises. Everything was complete by about 12:30 PM, and here I sit at my table, writing blog, feeling like I could easily go back to bed and sleep again. I hate this disease.

Fortunately I have things to do today, things which will prohibit a return to bed for more pointless sleep. I have to go to the ALS Clinic, not for an ALS checkup but to see the neurologist about the injuries from my toilet tumble. I have some persistent pain in my upper left arm along with some stiffness in my neck and shoulder.

I don't doubt that for someone without ALS, these injuries would be minor, if they happened at all. For me, however, the weakness in my muscles in general, along with the diminished muscular healing capacity thanks to ALS, these injuries could last for as long as I have muscles in my arm. There is the distinct possibility that this ache in my neck and shoulders, that this pain in my upper arm, is the new normal.

On the other hand, I've had pain in this area already, even before the accident. This just makes it worse. How much worse is a wait and see kind of thing, although I am sure the neurologist will make more sense of it than I can. I just wish it hadn't happened. And I wish I wasn't so damned tired all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment