Monday 11 June 2018

Automating My Life

In a process initiated by a gift from my friend, and another PALS, David Brown, followed on by encouragment and support from my friend Chris Gordon, I am on a project to automate as much of my apartment as I reasonably can given costs and available devices.

It was all started when David sent me some Bluetooth outlets to allow control of some of my plugs. While I was unable to implement the devices he sent, it really opened my eyes to what was possible. I realized that I could actuallly set up most of my lights to be switched on and off by voice command. So, as in days gone by, I called Chris and said "I have this idea..." Again, as in days of old, he said "That's a really neat idea. Here's some money. Go make it happen."

So I bought a couple of Google Home Mini listening devices. These devices are far more than just listening devices. The Google Home devices run something called the Google Assistant, so I can ask it things about every day life. I've already started keeping my shopping list there, a paper based task which has become both tiring and difficult for me. Plus I can, using voice commands only, switch on my TV, play music through my living room sound system or in my bedroom, and a bunch of other neat stuff.

The real power in this technology, however, is in the combined voice control or device control of things like outlets, light switches, dimmer switches, even heavy appliances like my air conditioner. There are also devices for major adaptations, like closing curtains blinds, locking and unlocking doors; there's even talk about Wi-Fi controlled bathroom fixtures.

Oh, I need to mention this. It's all run over my apartment Wi-Fi. I only need the Internet to reach the cloud stored information on things like outlet configuration or shopping lists or contact; that kind of content heavy stuff. Now, admittedly I am giving more information about my life to vendors like Google and TP-Link and others, but my life is soooooo boring that it means little to me. Plus, it allows vendors to send me truly useful information, like when I need to get butter or milk. The reminders, those are very helpful.

All in all, I am very excited by both this project, and the technology. I am learning, something that is always exciting to me. I am trying something fairly new, even cutting edge. While it may not be the bleeding edge, it certainly is the leading edge. That's something I have done my whole adult life, lead the front edge useful, implementable technologies. Now, thanks to a few friends, I am doing it again.

This is so cool!

2 comments:

  1. We have our living room lights and TV set up thru Alexa... wonderful google also will read books..you name it.... pretty amazing technology .

    ReplyDelete