Thursday 9 August 2018

And She Likes Red Wine Too

Perhaps it helps to complain about my HCA. The one who was not good decided she didn't want to see me anymore. That left a gap in my schedule. We tried a new one on Wednesday, a process which exhausted us all. That one decided I needed more care than she was willing to give. So today I got another new one. This one seemed perfect, perhaps too much to hope for.

One of the first thing which endeared her to me was when she was turning me over. Her supervisor, there to provide training during this initial visit, asked if rolling me was too difficult. The new HCA responded, "It's requires energy. That's why they call it work." That could easily be a McBride aphorism. It speaks to attitude.

The other thing I really liked is her almost immediate understanding of not only what needed to be done, but why it needed to be done the way it was done. She didn't quibble, noting immediately that the extra steps for cleanliness made sense due to my illness. The did the work quickly, with focus, yet not so quickly as to make me feel likea lump of meat to be tossed around.

Nobody completes everything their first time. We got close. Rather than make breakfast for me, I asked her to tidy the kitchen. Emma had already put the recycling in the hall, ready to go. My water jug was full. My bed was made. It was all good. I am impressed with this new caregiver. I hope she sticks around.

Oh, and she likes wine, especially red wine. That's an immediate win with me.

2 comments:

  1. Cheers! So glad to hear there is another HCA with work ethic. I hope she continues to be a match for you. Enjoy that wine 👍

    ReplyDelete