Tuesday 28 August 2018

At The Kitchen Table

Yesterday was one of those full and busy kinds of days, the kind where I was exhausted by the end of things. It started with the usual stuff, then exercises followed by homemaking, Anne dropped by during the process, visiting until all was complete. Then Brad showed up so we could go to Costco. By the time we were done at Costco and back to my apartment it was 5:00 pm.

That's when things started to get interesting. While we were at Costco, the front tire on my power wheelchair "went flat". This is in quotes because the front tire of my wheelchair is supposed to be solid core. How can that go flat? I don't know, except it seems to have done just that. So we limped our way home, or rather I went slowly to the van, then from the van to my apartment, wherein I parked my PWC with me on board and called the ALS Society. Unfortunately it was too late in the day for them to come to effect a repair. So the technician is headed here at about 3:00 PM today.

In the meantime I am settled into my manual chair. It's been a long time since I've used this chair, so I've forgotten how different it is from the power chair. It is, of course, a smaller chair, thus I sit more frontwards in the chair, depending more on my limited back and core strength to keep my vertical. I'm leaning on the kitchen table to help with that; I suspect I won't move much from here over the next few hours.

This chair also fits lower at the kitchen table. This is both a plus and a minus. The height of this chair provides a more natural sitting position, putting me in a place where it is actually easier to sit and type. It also makes it easier for me to drink from a straw in my water mug without having to lift the mug at all. Were it not for the extra effort needed to stay upright in this chair as well as the work in moving about, I would say I prefer this to my power chair. But back support and mobility are a requirement, so I'll have to stay with the power chair. At least I will stay with it once it is fixed. Until then, my kitchen table will be my home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard. Good adaptation to a depleted tire! Kitchen tables make for good working places. I know, I've always favored the kitchen and its table when it comes to work and write. Plus the environment of the kitchen is always inspiring to me, dunno why. I'm glad to see your posts coming about again. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete