Tuesday 28 March 2017

Tired Again

How is it that I can be out of bed for all of 90 minutes, and feel like I could go right back to sleep right now? I've had some breakfast, a good breakfast. I've had my coffee. Yet here I am, ready to close my eyes and sleep right here in my chair. Fortunately for me, the work of getting into bed or onto the couch is such that I will likely just stay in my chair. That will keep me mostly awake until this exhaustion spell passes.

It's the kind of day where I should feel great. I went to bed at 9:30 PM last night, nothing to drink. I took a sleeping pill, assuring a full 8 hours or uninterrupted sleep, except for  the weird dreams these sleeping pills induce in me. I slept even longer than that, not waking until just before 9:00 AM, although I was up every hour or so from about 5:00 AM on, sometimes to go pee, other times because I thought I heard something in the kitchen. Still, it was a full night of sleep, a theoretical restful night.

The spring weather outside should be enough to shake this off of me. The sky is a soft blue, mottled by gentle strips of gauze thin cloud. The breeze is easy, the air is warming as spring reaches across the landscape. Soon the trees will bud. It's the kind of day that makes you want to get out, to feel the sun on your face, to taste the fresh breeze, knowing that summer is on its way.

Yet here I am, looking more for sleep than anything else. I know this will pass. My friend, Anne, has stopped by. Her company will keep me going, stimulating my energy levels to at least non-nocturnal. She's brought her dog, Echo, a virtual puppy love machine. Her demands for treats and petting will keep me going. I'll be tired. I just won't give in to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment