Friday 14 July 2017

Truck Service

I'm just back from taking my truck in for servicing. The morning was so tightly scheduled that I didn't even have time for coffee, but I am enjoying one now. I am, however, exhausted from the effort of getting in and out of the truck, twice. Driving was, as usual, a pleasure, a relaxation. I love my truck. I love driving it. I love having it. When I lose it, that will be a sad day for me. I may keep it longer, much longer, than I can drive just so others can drive me somewhere in it.

To say that "I" took my truck in for servicing is a bit of a misrepresentation. While I drove and paid, I could not have done it without the help of my friend, Ryan. As usual, getting in and out was the real problem today. I am no longer strong enough to even position myself properly in my seat. I can't move my hips against the friction of the lift seat or chair cushion. It's a function of the loss in my upper arms and shoulders. I need help.

I paid very close attention to the effect of my driving, my ability to control the truck, the level of exhaustion in my lower arms and hands, as well as my upper arms and shoulders. I noticed a few interesting things. First of all, since I did not get square into the seat, I was at a bit of a twist for the whole of the drive. I didn't bother saying anything to Ryan; the drive was all of 20 minutes. I can take it.

What was more interesting to note was that I was almost unable to maintain that twist, my core muscles weak enough that I had to relax back to a somewhat offset driving position. At first it was annoying, but I got used to it. Were I on a longer trip, I would have asked Ryan to help me square up in the seat.

It was also interesting to note the increase in my slouch vis a vis the seat of the car. Once again my core muscles are failing at their task. Fortunately the truck seat takes away most of that problem; my truck seats are the most comfortable vehicle seat I have ever had.

Then there is the aftermath. I can feel it in my arms. My hands are a bit shaky; I am not sure if that is the driving or the Starbucks coffee. I am tired; then again I am almost always tired, especially at this time of day.

All in all, I would call it a success. It has been a month since I last drove my truck. With assistance getting in, I was able to safely drive through city traffic without incident. I wonder how long I can keep going?

No comments:

Post a Comment