Thursday 20 July 2017

Upside, Downside

Each morning I awake. From that instant on, my day is filled with ups and downs, both literally and figuratively. There's the sling. Both up and down. This morning there were no events with the sling, which leads me to believe that the last couple of mornings were events driven by my consumption of beer. Will this stop me from drinking beer? Not likely. What I will have to do is ensure I used the toilet before bed on those days when I drink beer.

There are lots of other upsides for each and every day. Here is the upside list. It's longer than what is presented. This blog has to have a certain brevity to it.

UPSIDES

  1. I woke up today. I get to see another day of the world go by. I get to enjoy another glass of wine, another meal. I get to feel the sunshine, laugh at something, continue to hope for love.
  2. I got to use my sling without filling my underpants first. There was no mess today. No muss, no fuss. I was clean without needing a shower.
  3. Sam just folded my laundry. It is one less thing for me to do, so today I can focus on making spaghetti sauce with meatballs. I'll have that with rigatoni tonight, likely tomorrow night too.
There are plenty of other upsides. I just wanted to express a few of the good things that start my days. There are also downsides to every day, difficult things which enter my life, things over which I have no control.

DOWNSIDES
  1. I woke up today. It means another day of dealing with pain and struggle. It means I get to witness more loss in my muscles, more challenges. The wine glass is getting heavier. It's getting more difficult to get outside in the sunshine. It's another day in which I will discover disappointment.
  2. My neck is cramping today, making it difficult to hold my head up straight. This would be less of an issue if I had stayed in bed, less of an issue if I simply laid flat for the day.
  3. It's cold outside today. I put shorts on this morning, or rather Sam put shorts on my this morning, thinking I would not be going outside. Now I will either stay indoors, or change to long pants.
You know, I can find both good and bad things in every day. Sometimes the good outweighs the bad. Sometimes the bad outweighs the good. What I know is this. One day I will realize that the downsides have been more than the upsides for a long time. That will be the day I decide. For now, not today. There's plenty of upsides.

2 comments:

  1. Happy for your upsides today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! At least you are able to see the upsides. You still have a grounded perspective on things. I know "healthy" people who can only see their downsides daily. You remain an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete