Monday 18 September 2017

Does It Matter Which Way You Put On Sweatpants?

Does it really matter which way you put on pants, particularly sweatpants. I know that anything with a zipper has a front and back that matter. I suspect that tight fitting things like leggings have a true front and back, especially if you are a woman with a curvy back end. You don't want all that backside fabric hanging off your front.

Then there are the more causual clothes; jogging pants, sweat pants, lounge pants, things which generally resemble pajamas. These pants seem to have no real differential in thier cut from front to rear other than any pocket slots not running parallel to the seams. This is a good thing for me, since putting on pants is such a challenge these days.

This morning Kathy, my HCA, dressed me, putting on some nice lounge pants and a nice pair of underwear. I was set for the day, except for about an hour later when I went to go pee and made a real mess of it. So I had to change. I reached down deep for the bottom drawer of my dresser and pulled out another pair of casual, lounge type pants. I grabbed another pair of underwear from the top drawer of my dresser. Then the real work began.

I used the sling to transfer onto the bed. Laying down is the only way I can dress myself these days without falling over. From that laying position I yarded and pulled, twisted and turned, grunted and rested, until I finally managed to get pant legs off of my legs. I bundled up the damp clothing and weakly threw it towards the clothes hamper. Next, putting pants on.

The way I do this is to lay the pants out over my legs, then put in one leg. I pull it all the way up, as high as I can go. It takes a lot of effort and time just to get one leg done. Then, I roll over, such as I can, and repeat the lengthy and tiring for the opposite leg. That's when I noticed it this morning, that stupid label that's supposed to be at the back of my pants. There it was, front and center. My pants were on backwards.

At that moment, I had two choices. I could take my pants off and start all over again, or I could just leave them the way they were, backwards. Hence the question. Does it really matter which way I wear these pants, frontwards or backwards? I can tell you this, from a wheelchair it makes no difference whatsoever. I could wear them backwards all day long and nobody would notice. If I was walking, it might make a difference. Then again, if I was walking, I wouldn't be so upset about redressing myself with pants on frontwards.

It's a heck of a lot of work, putting on pants. Today I wore mine backwards. I guess that answers the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment