Saturday 16 December 2017

Another Infection

I have another bladder infection, a serious one, unfortunately most likely one brought on by using the in/out catheters. The doctor in the hospital warned me this might happen. The doctor at the walk in clinic I saw yesterday thought it was likely as well. It all has to do with cleanliness while handling me and the catheter.

I am definitely not saying my Health Care Aides are not clean, they are very good about keeping me clean. However their protocol for catheterization is slightly different than the one provided by the doctor in the hospital, most notably around handing my penis during cleaning. The have a habit of cleaning me up, them letting go of things while they prepare for the next step. Unfortunately this has the effect of re-contaminating me right after decontaminating me. The bacteria gets cleaned off; the bacteria gets back on.

What I am doing is providing the HCA's with the protocol to read, the one provided by the hospital, and then insisting they do exactly what that protocol lays out as the process. Not only does it specify a process which ensures there is no re-contamination, it also says to use soap and water for cleaning, not the wet wips they seem so fond of.

So here I sit, drained for the day, hopefully not re-infected. I'm sore. I'm sweaty thanks to my fever. I\m tired. And I have a Christmas party here at my home tonight. Thank goodness my friends are looking after the work of it all. My job today will simply be to act as a guest, and rest in my wheelchair. I can do that.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful time just soaking up the holiday fellowship tonight. Rest up ☺

    ReplyDelete