Tuesday 26 December 2017

Gilles and Hannah Visited Today

At last. A moment in the day when I have the energy and the quietude in which to write. I must confess that there was time this morning, after my HCA got me out of bed, where I could possibly have done some writing. However I chose to take that time to rest, to nap, from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM; actually 1:37 PM to be exact, when the first of my guests arrived to visit.

Gilles and Hannah came to spend time with me today. They brought their son Innnuq and their daughter-in-law Iacha with them. It was a crash course in Richard for the youngsters, Gilles and Hanna having known me for years now. Talk about an amazing visit, filled with love and understanding. It was terrific, although far too short. It could have gone on for days and I would not have complained.

Hannah is the mother of Siobhan, a dear friend who also suffered and died with ALS. We met online, Siobhan and I, and were kindred spirits, connecting immediately. In one of my travels across the country, one of my attempts to run away from ALS, I went to meed Siobhan and family, her daughter Ella, her son Dom, her husband Tom, Gilles and Hannah, and even her sister. We had an absolutely fabulous visit, much like today's, where we talked, laughed, cried, and for a moment, one or two precious moments, forgot that we were people trapped in a common disease, a shared deathly challenge where we were certain we could not win.

Gilles is the loving father of Siobhan, gentle and kind, completely connected both spiritually and physically to his family, children and grandchildren. I could only hope to be as well connected emotionally to my children and grandchildren. Alas I am not he, although he will be the first to tell you that he is not me either. I love his view of the world, his generosity of spirit, his laughter.

To top it all off, Ryan and Andrea came to visit as well. Andrea has been so wonderful over the holiday, checking to see if I am all right, making sure I am not lonely or alone, coming to visit today even with other things on her schedule, demanding her time. Ryan, as you might guess, was already here on the 24th, fixing my dishwasher. He is such a terrific support.

For me, a great many days feel like Christmas. I have the gift of people around me who love and care for me, who help me, who look after me. Both near and far, I know there are people I can count on, as I must on a regular basis. I am not completely sure how it happened, what made it be, but I have two families; my brothers, children, and parents; those who surround me with love here in Calgary. I don't really know how it can get much better. Perhaps only if there was a cure, or even a viable treatment, for ALS. I have to say I am living the best life possible, as difficult as it is, with the help of these people. I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. If only wisdom could cure ALS, what a physically well man you would be.

    ReplyDelete