Wednesday 20 December 2017

Snow Danger

It snowed last night. Actually it started snowing at about noon yesterday and kept on snowing will past midnight. I know because I was up at midnight, waiting for the nurse who was taking the place of Kabira, my regular HCA. Unfortunately the snow, pretty as it was to watch, created danger for Kabira; she had a car accident. She was unhurt, but thanks to the accident she was unable to attend at my place for my regular evening care.

I was very upset when I got the call about Kabira. My concern was not about myself at all, but about her. Was she hurt? How bad was the accident? Will she be off work at all? As it turns out, she was not hurt at all and will be right back on track on Friday, after her regular two days off. Now I get to be a bit selfish, thankful that she will be here on schedule, here as planned. I depend on her, and the other HCA's, for the kind, quality care that I recieve consistently from them.

The whole incident reminded me once again how quickly these care workers become integrated into my daily life, how my concern for their well-being so quickly matches their concern for my well-being. I talk about them as a part of a team, my team, the team that works together even though they rarely meet, the team that keeps me going.

Today I'm staying indoors, intentionally. I have laundry to fold. I have mail to pick up. I could attempt one of those many things I can't ask an HCA to do, like cleaning out the fridge. Or I could just do nothing, take a rest, let the pain in my legs subside, sleep. For sure I am going to be grateful for the care I get, and that Kabira is okay. Snow is lovely to look at, but it carries its own dangers.


No comments:

Post a Comment