Sunday 24 December 2017

Friends and Family, Near And Far

Today has been a good day, so far. I was up early this morning, at 9:00 AM of all things. This was because a friend of mine was coming to finish the repairs of the dishwasher that another friend could not finish for me last night. It's like I have this whole team of people who can help me when I really need it, and remind me that I don't always need help for everything.

There are some things, however, where it is just too much for me to manage myself. This month there are three mortgage payments. I thought I was okay. Then a couple of expenses came along and suddenly I was concerned. Out of nowhere, a family member gave me a Christmas gift which would well cover that extra payment. I am so grateful. I am also grateful that he encouraged me to think of myself in the process, perhaps spending some of the money frivolously on myself, perhas a bottle of Scotch or some Rum. Perhaps both!

I had a couple of friends come over last night, as I said earlier. Ostensibly they were here to clean up some of the little things which have been bugging me for ages. One of these chores was to tidy up the wiring behind the TV. It was messed up. While he did cable clean, she got into the kitchen and helped me cut up some fruit for a fruit plate tomorrow. When the wiring was finished, we all tried to pitch in and figure out the dishwasher. It got late so we had to stop in the middle of things. That's what lead to the other friend coming this morning to finish the job.

Of course there are the many other people whe are here for me, checking to see that I am okay, making sure I will not be alone on Christmas. As it happens, my daughter Kate and her family will be here tomorrow for Christmas dinner. I am reminded once again that while there are times when I feel so alone, there really are lots of people around me, and those afar who help in their own way. I can keep going for a while, stop worrying for a while, focus on living for a while. This is as good as it gets for me; it's as good as it gets for anyone. Thank you all.Fr

No comments:

Post a Comment