Sunday 1 July 2018

Changing Times

Well. This is it. This is the last day I will be living alone in my apartment. Today, at 4:30 PM, Shelby moves in. She is my new live-in caregiver. She will take up residence in my spare room, the room henceforth known as Shelby's room.

This, the addition of a live-in caregiver, will make some tremendous changes in my life. No longer will I be sending out plaintive requests on Facebook when I have a problem to solve. Making a meal should get a lot easier. I won't have to wait hours on end for help if I have a catheter problem or a midnight accident. I'll be able to lock my front door at night; I won't have to leave it open for a caregiver or EMS arrival.

Other changes will happen. I will certainly lose a level of privacy. I'll have a young lady living in my home, sharing my space. I'll have to start budgeting meals for two, purchasing groceries, sundry items, and such. Of course it will make a trip to Costco more interesting just as it will make it more expensive.

On balance, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I think I'll still be able to have the music blasting some days as I write. I think I will have the kind of help I need to maintain my limited independence. The only real issue is what I will have to do on Sunday's and holidays. Next Sunday is covered; I'm keepng CBI online until then.

Still, I'm nervous. This change is a real marker of how much help I need to keep living any sort of reasonable life. As Bob Dylan famously wrote, "The time's they are a-changin'."

1 comment: