Friday 20 July 2018

In Vancouver

One of the truly terrific things about coming back to Vancouver is visiting old haunts, seeing old friends and spending time with family. What's even better is when I get to share those haunts with others, especially those who don't understand that I had a life before ALS, that I did things before I was in a wheelchair. It was like that today.

After some indecision, we left the hotel and headed for Cypress Bowl. The lookout halfway up the hill offers a tremendous view, an amazing overlook of the city, English Bay, Burrard Inlet, and Georgia Strait. For people who have not been there, it kind of leaves them in awe of the scope of the city and its surrounds, the landscape, the mountains, the water. The list goes on and on. Shelby suddenly came to realize that Vancouver is nestled on the edge, hemmed in be ocean and mountains, the sprawl spreading out the Fraser Valley and south to the US border.

Our next stop was Horseshoe Bay and the Troller Pub, a traditional haunt of mine from my seagoing days. Megan Sewell was as wonderful as ever in her loving and effusive greeting. We talked for a bit, catching up. Then she let us have a key for the docks so I could show Shelby and David around, and check out Chris Gordon's boat Rainbow. It was a multiple picture opportunity. We just so happened to see a Catalina 27 which could very easily have been my boat in the past. I was happy to see it, remembering once again old days and old friends.

From there we drove Marine Drive all the way to the Lions Gate Bridge, then came off and up to Prospect Point in Stanley Park. It was nice the hear Shelby exclaim "Oh this is so pretty!" as we walked up to the lookout. Until then I wasn't sure the city had had much impact on her. Given the pictures she took, I'm pretty sure she was impressed by the park and the city.

Granville Island Market was our last stop. I must confess this was as much for me as for anyone else. I wanted my traditional coffee, or rather Caramel Machiotto, from the Blue Parrot Cafe. I wanted to sit by the window and watch the watercraft go by, to see the gulls stealing lunch from the tourists, to hear the sounds of the market. We weren't there long, but it was long enough to grab a loaf of Olive Bread from the Terra Bakery.

Then it was back to the hotel to drop off Shelby, and on to dinner with Chris, Jeanette, Chris, and Dianne. It was a great visit, although a bit difficult for me. Their lives continue onward while mine has been frozen in place, or at least somewhat frozen in place. I admit to being on a road trip. Yet their lives sound so much more active, so much more lively. It hurts a bit, especially when faced with needing help to eat, a straw to drink a beer.

Even with that bit of sadness, the visit, and the day, was terrific. I'm glad I could be there, glad I could visit. I am lucky to have such good friends.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like s full day with GOOD friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, this was one of these days I said the sun came through the heavy congregation of black clouds. There will be more of those. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete