Saturday 7 July 2018

Kate's Wedding Party

It's been hot the last couple of days. When it is even a bit hot outside my apartment heats up like an oven. We've had the AC and fans working overtime just to keep things reasonably tolerable. Opening the windows actually makes things worse; it seems to concentrate the heat more than dissipate it. So I have awoken the last couple of days, early, covered in sweat, completely uncomfortable. Yesterday the heat was such that I showed lividity where the blood was pooling in my back and rear end.

The heat affects me in a couple of ways. It makes me weaker than normal. It ramps up my thirst so I drink more water, not a bad thing. It makes me nauseous when I first get out of bed. This morining my arms were so weak when I woke up, thanks to the heat primarily, that Shelby had to feed me some mango just to get the engines started. After that bit of coolness and sweetness, I managed to drink some water, and even a bit of a latte she made for me.

Still, I am sweating heavily right now. I've opened the front door to my building hallway just to improve the general airflow. The hall is air conditioned as well, so I am hoping the air exchange will generally cool things down for me.

Fortunately the day will not be spent at home. Today is the day of my daughter Kate's wedding celebration. She was actually married last November, but it's hard to throw an outdoor farm party in November in central Alberta. You may be all right; you may be snowed under. So she wisely decided on a mid-summer celebration.

We'll be headed out in an hour or so. David will be driving. Shelby will be in the front passenger seat, ready so spell David off if necessary. I will be in the back, hopefully napping away in my wheelchair. This will be kind of a trial run for upcomping road trips, a chance to see how it all works. I'm happy enough in the back; there are windows to see out of and the air conditioning works just fine.

I will see all of my children and grandchildren today. They all came out for Kate's party, to celebrate her marriage. I've even bought gifts for the kids. It should be a fun day. The only possibility for distress will be the presence of my ex-wife. I'm hoping David and Shelby will protect me from her, from her false sincerity, from her pious pity. When I needed her care, she wasn't there. I certainly don't need fake caring from her now.

No comments:

Post a Comment