Sunday 15 July 2018

What's Coming Up Next

I am having increasing problems lifting my arms. This means things like eating, drinking, picking stuff up; all kinds of things where I use my arms are now almost beyond me. A few months ago it was a periodic thing. Now the normal is where my arms have great difficulty; the exceptions are where things work at least halfway decently.

Another new norm; this last few months have seen a near total collapse in my arms and shoulders. They have been leaving me for a while. The only thing which has changed has been the pace of change. This disease forever leaves me struggling with the new normal. I read on Facebook today that ALS really stands for Always Losing Something. This is more than just a bit true. It is the foundation of the disease.

I wonder how long it will be before I am completely without arm strength? This is the place I said I would not go. Yet here I am, marching firmly towards having no useful arms at all. I am glad I have the MAID stuff in place although I wonder if I will really use it when the time comes. I suspect I will, even though I am in no hurry. I'm getting by. I'm mostly happy. My mood is generally good. I'm not sure it's time to leave yet.

Still, yesterday was kind of depressing. I went out for sushi with David. He had to help me eat a couple of times. I managed the rest, although I had to use a fork instead of chop sticks. What I have learned in the last few weeks is that if my arms give out, all I need to do is rest for a bit then try again. Usually them come back. The sad part is that I know for sure there will be a time when they won't come back, a time when they are done completely. That's what's coming up next.

1 comment: