Saturday 25 November 2017

In And Out Catheter

Neurogenic bladder and a swollen prostate; that's what's keeping me in hospital. Actually, not specifically those things, but the outcome of those two things; I am retaining urine, lots of urine, as much as a full litre at times. That retained urine, full of protein and other stuff, inside a warm, moist environment, presents a wonderful home for wandering bacteria. I get bladder infections.

I thought we were through with all the nonsense until this morning. The new doctor was adamant that if I went home I would be back soon, with another infection. On the other hand if I learned how to catheterize myself, I would be able to empty my bladder, or at least get it to normal retention of 100 to 200 ml. With this happening, I would be less susceptible to infection.

So, as life would have it, today I am neither producing large amounts of urine, nor retaining large amounts of urine. They drained me this morning and I am being slow to refill. Some of it is the vagaries of bodily function, some of it is lack of fluid intake. I have been given a large glass of water and instructed to drink it. I am.

The whole self-catheterization, called an "in and out catheter" basically means that, three times a day, I have to insert a pliable tube into my penis and shove it up until it reaches my bladder, thus creating a free flowing tube to remove retained urine. Yes, it stings, but you get used to it. Yes, the nurses, male and female, have been doing it so far. Yes, I will be required to do it to myself tonight and tomorrow morning before I can be released.

No, this is not fun.

2 comments:

  1. Glad there's s way to get your infection cleared and get you back into the comfort of your home, Richard. Hoping you catch on to the method without too much added stress. Sorry you have to deal with this too.

    ReplyDelete