Wednesday 8 November 2017

Meniere’s Disease

I have not written yet today for one simple reason. I have, so far, been unable to maintain focus on the computer screen. I have been plagued with dizzy spells today, ever since I was being dressed by my HCA this morning. Most of my day has been spent laying back in my PWC with my eyes closed, drifting on the edge of sleep, periodically being jerked awake as my arm fell by my side, banging into the table or the PWC or just flopping off into space. In those waking moments I would open my eyes and the world would continue to spin in front of me.

There are people who would pay good money for this feeling were it in some sort euphoric drug that went along with the spinning world. Oh wait, I have some of that stuff in my cookies in the fridge. However this is a feeling I really don't like. This dizziness is debilitating me today, making it impossible for me to write, right up to a few minutes ago. Now that the dizzy spell is passing, I am slowly regaining my faculties. Sleep is still high on my list, however I am now more able to face my activities of daily living.

Why this is happening, I know not. It could be a reaction to medications, the fallout from my accidental overdose on Sunday night, giving me a late but sudden drop in blood pressure. It could be hypoglycemia, though unlikely. It could be any number of things. It could be an inner ear problem, more likely with me thanks to the impact of the gentomycin used to treat my bladder infection at my last hospital visit. Fortunately dizziness is common and, in most cases, resolves itself as the body comes back into equilbrium. It's happened to me before, just not quite as powerfully.

I'll be okay. I need to do what my body needs to do. I've been resting all day so far. I'll take it easy this evening. No alcohol. No vigourous activity; that's out anyway. |I should probably go to the audiologist to see if there is anything wrong in my inner ear. On the other hand, I suspect, as this has been a life long problem for me, that there is nothing to be done. I talked to my own GP back in Abbotsford about dizziness attacks long ago and he suggested Meniere’s disease, an illness of the inner ear with no known cause and no real treatment. Sound familiar?

2 comments:

  1. I suffer from frequent bouts of dizziness several times a year of no known cause. I am never without dramamine its over the counter here and works immediately to fix the spinning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust Alls well and you will post later today.
    Was as hospital today myself and concerned about contagions .
    Reggie NZ

    ReplyDelete