Wednesday 22 November 2017

Only Three Days To Go

It's getting busy for me today. Already I have seen the psychiatric nurse. She interviewed me in advance of my seeing the psychiatrist. They've also taken out my catheter. We are all wondering how  my bladder will do now that it is working on its own. Most likely I will have to endure some level of "in and out" catheterization, depending on how well my bladder empties itself. And all of this before lunch.

The visit with the psychiatric nurse was interesting, and long. She interviewed me in some depth about my life, my childhood, my career, my family. She asked about traumatic events in my life, which brought to mind my college friend Bert Menger, the one who was murdered at a riverside camp I was asked to attend but couldn't because of work. She asked me a lot of questions about how I feel about living with ALS, and what other options I have considered for dying. This whole process was a bit emotional for me, bringing a tear or two to my eyes. To reveal ones life in vulnerability is daunting.

After lunch the nurses will give me a sponge bath. It's not as much fun as it sounds, however the nurses, both male and female, are nice enough. The usually chat to each other, paying no attention to me whatsoever, other than the routine of wiping and drying. Once I am cleaned up, I am going to get into my wheelchair, with their help. My friend Albert is coming at 2:30 PM. We'll go downstairs to Good Earth Coffee for a coffee and a date square, then we will practice our trivia knowledge with some Trivial Pursuit cards.

We are slowly working towards my release on Saturday. No particular time has been set. It will depend on when I get my last shot of antibiotics. They've been doing them every day at 5:00 PM so far, but I am hoping we can get it done at noon so I can get home. My apartment is likely a bit of a mess. There is laundry, some of it urine soaked, which has been sitting for a couple of weeks. I've already been in here for 10 days this time and it will be a full two weeks by the time I get out.

There is no doubt. I am looking forward to getting home, to sleeping in my own bed, to eating my own food, to enjoying my quiet space. I'm looking forward to visits not stilted by the presence of hospital gear or me in bed. I\m looking forward to a nice glass of wine with dinner. Only three days to go.

2 comments: