Sunday 16 September 2018

Another Winter

I've reverted back to my lap desk. It's easier for eating and typing than using the dining room table. It also allows me to write whilst sitting in front of my window, looking at my tree. Today the sky is dim, a soft grey from horizon to horizon, not quite threatening rain yet not quite providing confidence enough to go out without a coat. There is a chill in the air as it struggles to warm up past freezing.

It may technically be summer for another week, but fall is definitely here in Calgary. The leaves have turned on all but the most hardy of deciduous trees, many of them already fallen, scattering on the grass like a poor man's carpet, showing bits of green through the covering pattern of yellow. The sidewalks and streets have been attacked by the street sweepers and landscapers, leaves thrown into the gutters, there to rest until the next rain or melting snow pushes them downwards where they will clog the gutters, overflowing them into the streets where passing traffic will turn it all into a glorious mess.

It doesn't rain here like it does on the coast. Calgary rains come and go, rather than settling in for months on end. The horizon here is open, rather than encamped by mountains on almost all sides. Certainly I get to see the mountains, often. They are an hours drive to the west, yet visible from here within the city on a clear day, and most days are clear. Even this cold front which brings the clouds and showers will be gone by tomorrow, only to return in a few days, then once again leave.

When the cold of winter finally arrives, perhaps in late October, the skies will be brilliantly blue once again, clearing the air, making the distance seem immeasurable, bringing the far mountains into near focus, spiking the air with a chill. Then too, the winds will come, making me all the happier to sit in front of my window, warm in my apartment, watching the wizards of winter wend their way.

I hope I am still here for that. It would be nice to have another winter.

4 comments:

  1. I also hope so... winter has a special beauty all of its own. I love the snow as long as I don’t have to travel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Richard,
    My name is Kathleen and I have been diagnosed with ALS a few months ago. My busy life slowed down. I am just now learning to live with miserable disease.

    I now have leg braces when I was running 10 months ago. I can still swim and try to get to the pool at least three times a week. Thank you for your articles/blog You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, I’m the woman with the dog from the friendship post. Richard is physically gone but his blog is intact. I wonder if you might find reading it at whatever pace you choose helpful. He would so love to think other sufferers of this horrendous disease gain something from his struggle. My personal advice is to find people to talk to. Richard used his blog and many friends. I also have a terminal illness, cancer, Richard and I talked often about both how it feels to have that diagnosis and how it affects those around us. Find someone on a somewhat similar path. It doesn’t have to be the same path. SLS is a bitch. My sympathies and compassion are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anne, Thank you for your message. My sister's name was Anne and she passed away at 41.h was my best friend. You have a good name.

    I think about Richard often as he was very engaging as well as helpful to me as I enter this journey with ALS. I too will live will ALS not die from ALS.

    I am a widow , however I have family and friends that help me when I need help, I am so sorry to hear hear of your illness. Life is not fair. My father told me when I was young and I would say "that's not fair, Kathleen, not much in life is fair, so you get used to it" Boy was he right! I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I so wish you were no facing this challenge.

    I would like to keep Richard's Blog alive !

    If I may, I would like to connect to you on FaceBook . Just let me know if that works for you too.

    Thank you so much for your message.. I do get lonely sometimes.
    Kathleen Munchow

    ReplyDelete