Friday 21 September 2018

I Have A Friend

I have friends; many good, helpful friends.

I have a friend... who comes to visit me on a regular basis, and sometimes even on an irregular basis. Whenever he is nearby, he makes it a point to check on me, asking first what my energy level is like, then dropping by, often with a few beers. When he visits, he will make me dinner if needed. He opens a bottle of wine for me, getting a wine glass down from my now unreachable shelves.

I have a friend... who loves to visit, bringing her dog with her. When she visits she does almost anything and everything on the "Help Me" list I keep on the wall. She both cooks with me, and cooks for me. When I am in trouble, I know I can call on her, unless, of course, she is at work. Even then, after a long work day she will still come here to help me, to make sure I have eaten, to go shopping with and for me.

I have a friend... who makes it a point to help me financially each and every month, reliably, without ever asking what I do with the largess he sends to me. He visits when he can, as he lives out in BC. He knew me before ALS; his friendship transcends both time and ALS. I miss him, and look forward anxiously for the next visit. We had great fun before ALS, and we continue to have great fun after ALS.

I have a friend... who I can count on for both the big things and the small things in my life. He is generous with me, taking time to visit, helping me with tasks around the apartment, and even providing financial assistance on a regular basis. If I am in trouble, if I need some help, I can call him. He is trustworthy and dependable.

I have a friend... someone whom I have never met, yet someone who provides support on a regular basis, as well as being in touch often by email and online. In fact I have many friends like this, who make my life richer with their emails, comments, and messages. If humbles me that they would take the time, and money, to make my life better.

I have a friend... too many to write about in one blog entry. The include family members, people near and far, people who help in different ways, people who enrich my life. All of you are the best thing in my life.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. What a uplifting message .. friends near or far are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and said. Thanks for sharing. Your words are a call for reflection for all of us.

    ReplyDelete