Tuesday 18 September 2018

The Schedule Is Full

My caregiver needs have been resolved, at least for now. One thing I have learned in this process is that nothing is certain until it is done, no shift is filled until the shift is over. As one of my friends taught me, a contract is not a contract until the last cheque clears the bank. Even so, it feels great to have my own caregiving team starting on October 1.

I've already instituted one of the most significant changes to my care plan. From now on, exercises will happen in the evenings, arms and legs on alternating days with Sunday as a holiday. My hope is that this change will mean I am less exhausted in the mornings. In addition, since I set the care plan, I'm comfortable that there will be no arguments when it comes to laundry or such. I'm also expecting my apartment will be somewhat tidier.

What's really great about this team is that two out of three of them are up for travel, especially road trips. They are all in agreement that a travel day does not mean extra pay; they will be paid the normal daily hours. They will, however, get their own room at night. That can be a challenge for costs, but I want to find a way to do a couple of road trips over the fall and winter. I may have to sell my soul to raise the money, but then again my soul ain't worth all that much these days.

The other exciting thing is that two of the three are amenable to live-in; one of them is doing that already but wants some extra work, something I should have encouraged Shelby to do more of. On top of that, one of them knows a person who is explicitly looking for a live-in position. She's going to send me a resume tomorrow.

Now the challenge is the wait until October 1. That's 12 days where a lot of things can change. I hope they don't; you just never know. I'm going to have to remain anxious, probably even after everything kicks into gear. Worry? I can do that, right?

1 comment:

  1. Do you get to see your kids much? Be great if the daughters could check in now and again. We all know what Son's are like but good to get some family support when avaialble:-)

    ReplyDelete