Monday 30 April 2018

Just My Daily Gratitude Notice

I just got back from the doctor's office. Yes, I have another low grade bladder infection. These are so routine that I'm getting antibiotics in advance, just in case. Ultimately I will go on a persistent antibioutic schedule with low dosages. I'm not sure yet what this will do to the rest of my body; I'm fairly sure it will stop the infections though.

The other item on the agenda was my shoulders. Toimorrow I will get my first cortisone shot. I'm told by other patients that it should work fairly quickly to reduce the constant pain I am in. I'm also told that it will wear off, most likely in about 90 days, and I will have to have another shot. In other words, another chronic medication. There's that word again; chronic.

On the upside, other than these few minor health issues, I seem to be doing okay. I get tired easily, as is always the case. I'm obese, a good thing for someone with ALS. I didn't have any blood tests or heart tests; they do all that every time I'm in the hospital, so none of that stuff is necessary with my GP.

Thanks to the geneoristy of family and friends, I continue to eat well, if not completely properly. My appetite is truly sporadic; on one day, off the next. Yet I have no fears about the contents of my fridge. I have the food that I need. Thanks to my friend Moe, I have Scotch on the shelf. My bar is dry in a few other areas, but perhaps that is a good thing. I really don't need that big investment in liquor which is predominantly for others. I have what I want for myself. That's what really counts right now. If I could afford more, I would do it. But these days it is less about affording alcohol and more about saving for, and subsidizing, my home care.

This is not to say that I have lots of money. I still depend on what my family and friends give to me, either directly or through the DONATE button at the top of my blog. It is these combinations of steady, realiable support with the odd unexpected bonus gift that keep my head above water. None of this is easy, either financially, emotionally, or physically. It would be nice if I felt secure in at least one of these areas. For now I will appreciate what I have, and what I can do with what I have.

Things will change soon. They always do. That's why I try so hard to be grateful for what I have, for what I am given, and for the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment