Monday 9 April 2018

Look Ma. No Hands!

When I was diagnosed with ALS, the doctor went through a likely progression with me. One of the topics was losing my ability to eat. We talked about chewing and swallowing, so that's what I thought losing my ability to eat would be all about. I did not think it would be about what is happening now. I am losing the ability to feed myself, to pick up a fork and hold it up to my mouth. My arms just won't make the trip, so whatever utensil I have in my hands only makes it up to my chin.

There is a more complicated part to this change as well. If I lean back, the easier slope helps my arms, so if I am eating with my hands and leaning back a bit, I can get food to my mouth. That means things like sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, anything which might be considered finger or hand food, is easier for me to eat. Also, it's only a level utensil, like a spoon or a fork on the flat, which can't make it past my chin. If I use a fork to stab something, then turn the fork upwards, I can get it to my mouth. That extra few inches of fork gets me there.

There is one way I can get that flat spoon or fork up to my mouth while sitting up straight; if I use my left hand to help my right. With both hands in play I can get a bit of extra push, getting the utensil to where I can eat from it. It's awkward, but I can make it work.

This has implications for holding a wine glass, or scotch glass, as well. Once again if I tilt back in my chair slightly, I can make it happen. On the other hand, if I am sitting up straight, getting that glass up to my lips now takes two hands. The same is true for a coffee cup or a water glass. The only way it works easily if I relax and lay back.

Some have said it might be time for a straw. It's hard to eat a sandwich through a straw. As to wine and scotch through a straw, that will likely be the last straw. This disease is slowly breaking my back.

1 comment:

  1. Short of someone feeding you I would think the local als clinic have something to make this process easier for you. Everything I have read is to think outside the box when solving problems with als. Got to be some nerd out there who has come up with a gizmo to help. As far as drinking scotch through a straw,hey just put the straw in the bottle . Peace and mellow thoughts to your my friend. Mikael

    ReplyDelete