Friday 6 April 2018

Sore Muscles

I've just finished my Range of Motion exercises. Well, not just, but about 20 minutes ago. They have left my muscles exhausted, even though I did none of the real work. I can't even do my arm exercises these days without help. So my HCA's have found they are taking longer with me, due both to the increased time it takes to shower and dress me, and the increased number of exercises.

I have asked AHS Home Care to increase the amount of time in the mornings for these activities. The PhysioTherapist assures me that 45 minutes for my exercises is plenty of time. He's close; they usually take a bit less than an hour. I have to demonstrate how the other activities impact the exercises, things like rest time due to ALS, adjusting chairs and furniture to make space. It's not a lot, but it adds a few minutes here and there, and that makes a difference.

Right now my left shoulder is in pain, a dull kind of ache. I have been taking the medications as prescribed; the pain has gotten to be more than I can handle on my own. I need to get to the doctor soon so he can help refer me for an UltraSound, something the doctor in the hospital said was needed to identify the true source of the pain. Then I will likely get directed to a Sports Medicine clinic for cortisone shots. All of this, of course, starts with the underlying issue; weakness due to ALS.

My arms are failing. I wonder how long I will be able to say that? Eventually it will become "my arms don't work". Already my caregivers are doing more and more for me. They now do all my shower, from head to toe. They prepare food when they have time. They mop and sweep. They fill my water jug and mug. They dress me, help me with medications. The list goes on and one. So many things where I need help. Thank goodness I have helpers.

1 comment:

  1. My partner who has ALS found suprascapular blocks very helpful for his shoulder pain. They were done by a rheumatologist. Hope that’s in some way helpful. Wishing you only good things.

    ReplyDelete