Friday 20 April 2018

Moving Furniture

It's going to be a busy evening around here tonight. There are a couple of strong young men coming to take away my old freezer. A friend of one of my caregivers wants it; these fellows are her nephew and a friend. They are supposed to be here now, so I suspect they will be here shortly. Once the freezer is out, I want to mop that area of floor well. It's been a while.

Then there is the new cabinet that's going in the corner where the freezer used to be. It's smaller, lower, and much more functional. I will be able to put my printers on it, clearing more room in the living room. It has cupboards and shelves, so I can put away my paperwork. It even has space for four wine bottles down the middle, not that I need space for more wine. But perhaps the best part is that it has two drawers in it. So finally I get my own, real junk drawer, something I have never had here in this apartment.

The real question is what "else" should go in the cabinet. I will only need one side for my paperwork and filing. The other side could be paper storage, or perhaps office tools and supplies. It might even do for breakfast cereal now that the top of the freezer is gone. My other options around cereal are to eat my way through it and buy no more, since the cereal was mostly for Kate; or to store it on top of the fridge, in which case I would have to do something with the stuff already up there. Fortunately this is not a decision I have to make right away. I like decisions I can defer; it plays to my naturally procrastionationist nature.

The biggest challenge of the evening will be the assembly of the new cabinet. As with almost all furniture these days, it is designed for flat-pack shipping, allowing lower shipping costs and ease of online purchase. I did purchase this online, perhaps the largest item outside of airfair and hotels I have ever purchased over the Internet. So that's one more thing off the list before I die.

So now I wait for the moving crew. Then, construction begins. I likely won't get it done before my friend arrives to help. I can live with that. Help is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment