Thursday 17 May 2018

Bad Arm Day Revisited

As is usual with ALS, things are changing. I am going to have to redefine what a "bad arm day" is. Six months ago, a bad arm day meant pain in my arms, the inability to pick up a wine kit, difficulty reaching the second shelf in my cupboards. Today I am having a bad arm day, only now it means difficulty feeding myself, the inability to lift my arms away from my sides, and, as always, pain.

Brunch today was pancakes, the thin crepe style that I like with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Fresh fruit was absent today; I didn't pick any up at Safeway the other day. Instead, today I had whipped cream with plum jam and apricot and red pepper jelly. It was a tasty combination, at least that portion which I could lift to my mouth.

My arms were able to lift the fork only about halfway up my chest. I completed the task by leaning over towards the fork, then using my left hand to push the fork, which was held in my stronger right arm. This work for a bit, but then both arms became too tired to do anything at all.

So I switched approaches. First, I slid the plate onto a tray I had place on my lap. Then I leaned back in my wheelchair so the angle of approach from plate to mouth was substantially lessened. That way I could more slide my arm sideways rather than lift it up. I managed to complete the task of feeding myself in this manner.

This is what a bad arm day looks like now; potential inability to feed myself without using alternate methods. When I said I would let things end naturally once I could no longer eat, this was not what I had in mind. I can still eat, happily and handily. I just can't get the food to my mouth consistently.

I just have to hope things get better as the day goes on. After all, I want my wine this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment