Tuesday 15 May 2018

DQ Boost

I am weak today, especially in my arms. This is, of course, the price I pay for being so active yesterday. It wasn't just the run to Staples and Costco, nor the evening run to Safeway for milk and eggs. Nor would I lay it at the foot of the sleeping pill I took last night. It is all of these things combined, plus the normal affects of ALS which do me in today.

This does not mean I will do nothing today. What it does mean is that I will be tired all day, ready for an early bedtime tonight. It means I will have to push myself so I don't just sit in my chair and nap all day. It also means any tasks I manage to perform will be limited in nature and slower in delivery. It's just what happens.

ALS is a disease of attrition, both in the global sense and in the personal sense. This disease persistently wears down its victims, grinding them until all that is left is their mind, something ALS touches in most cases, yet touches in limited and unknown ways. Then here is the personal attrition, where the disease destroys your individual muscles, causing loss and pain in small steps each and every day, once again wearing you away until you have nothing but your thoughts.

Today I'm tired; in my arms, in my legs, in my core, in my neck. Today I am tired; sleepy, barely able to keep my eyes open, hoping for a nap right now, and another after I get back from meeting a friend at the mall. I plan, however, on using a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen to give me a boost, to keep me going, at least for an hour or two.

1 comment:

  1. DQ is often the boost I need, too! Hope it helped you today.

    ReplyDelete